Few tech “disruptors” have changed their industries as thoroughly as rideshare companies like Uber. As the popularity of this convenient app grew, so did the number of rideshare accidents happening on the road, along with the need for experienced Uber accident lawyers.
As seasoned personal injury attorneys in Orange County, the Cohn & Swartzon team is intimately familiar with the legal complexities that rideshare accident cases can create. We’ve also found that victims should understand why accidents involving rideshare companies are a different breed – one that usually requires a Lyft or Uber accident lawyer.
Why an Uber Accident is Different From Other Accidents
Let’s say that you were a passenger in a rideshare vehicle that was in an accident, or that you were struck by a vehicle providing rideshare services while you were walking, riding, or behind the wheel. The process for pursuing compensation for damages is a little different in comparison to other types of vehicular accidents.
California law classifies companies like Uber and Lyft as Transportation Network Companies (TNCs), a fairly new classification specifically created to regulate the rideshare industry. TNC regulations govern the provision of insurance for drivers, accommodations for people with disabilities, and more.
“Even though the Uber and Lyft model is relatively new, we have spent a lot of time pursuing compensation in these cases and have a lot of experience with how rideshare insurers operate. We are uniquely positioned in Orange County to help victims obtain more than they may have even thought possible.”
– Jason D. Cohn, Founding Partner & Personal Injury Attorney
TNC regulations are one reason among several that Uber and Lyft accidents can be relatively complicated. Another reason is that one accident can involve several parties who may or may not have been injured. These parties can include drivers (whether working with a TNC or not), passengers, TNCs, TNC insurance providers, and private insurance providers for individual parties.
For all of these reasons and more, it’s important to contact a knowledgeable attorney before you make a claim against any of the parties involved, including your own insurance. If you don’t engage a dedicated accident lawyer, you’re at a significant disadvantage and could be leaving a significant amount of compensation on the table.
What To Do If You’re in a Rideshare Accident
Securing legal representation is important if you have been in a rideshare accident, but it isn’t the first thing you should do. While you’re still at the scene, we recommend following these six steps:
- Seek Medical Attention. If you are injured, get help first and save the medical report.
- Collect Information. This includes license plate and driver’s license numbers, insurance information, and the car’s make and model.
- Take Pictures. Capture lots of close and clear images of damage and injuries.
- Remember The Passengers. Speak to the passengers in the vehicle and get their information.
- Contact The Authorities. Call the police and secure an incident report at the scene.
- If you were a passenger in a rideshare vehicle, take screenshots of your ride immediately. Oftentimes UBER deletes the information and you may not know your driver’s identity once it leaves your phone.
Top Uber Accident Lawyers in Southern California
Public and personal transportation habits have adapted to the tune of more than 1.3 million rideshare rides each year in California alone. These services are not immune to the challenges of California traffic, however, and hundreds of accidents involving Uber or Lyft vehicles also occur annually in the Golden State.
California regulations are designed to hold the rideshare companies responsible, not just the drivers, victims may be entitled to a greater amount of compensation.
The Cohn & Swartzon team has expert experience with a variety of TNC-related issues, including:
- Accidents caused by a rideshare driver/operator
- Rideshare insurance coverage for passengers
- Obtaining medical care for passengers if needed
- Accident caused by others while riding in a rideshare
- Multi-party litigation
If you have been involved in a rideshare-related accident and need a Lyft or Uber accident lawyer, it’s important to start collecting information and building your case immediately. If you choose Cohn & Swartzon as your legal representative, we’ll get to work right away and do everything we can to help you get your life back to normal.