Orange County Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Driving Under the Influence Can Lead to Severe Accidents
There are many different ways an accident can occur when you are driving
or riding in a motor vehicle. However, accidents caused by drunk drivers
can be some of the most devastating. When a person consumes too much alcohol,
the alcohol greatly impacts their decision making process and severely
reduces their response time. Combining these factors with a fast moving
vehicle is a recipe for disaster.
Drunk drivers are often unaware of their surroundings and often:
- Drive on the wrong side of the road
- Swerve unpredictably into other vehicles or other lanes
- Run red lights or stop signs, broadsiding other vehicles
- Fail to stop at crosswalks, hitting pedestrians or bicyclists
- Drift into oncoming traffic, hitting other vehicles head-on
- Drive much too fast or too slow for conditions
Most people believe that the legal limit for driving under the influence
(DUI) is .08% in California. However, a driver can be arrested and convicted
for driving under the influence regardless of their blood alcohol level
as long as their abilities have been impaired by the effects of alcohol.
Injured by a drunk driver? We will fight to hold them accountable.
At Cohn & Swartzon, P.C., we have garnered a reputation for our excellent,
high-quality legal work. Our two founders are members of the elite Million
Dollar Advocates Forum® and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®.
We have also
recovered over $50 million in damages, so you can trust us to go the distance for you if you were injured by
a drunk driver in Orange County. Although a drunk driver will likely face
criminal charges, your injury claim is a completely separate matter.
We have fought against insurance companies for years. We fully understand the process of recovering fair compensation in injury
cases where an intoxicated driver negligently caused an auto accident.
The fact that one of our lead Orange County personal injury attorneys
formerly served as defense counsel for insurance companies allows us to
have a far greater understanding of the process involved in obtaining
the best result possible. We can put this experience to work for you.
If we do not get a fair offer within a reasonable period of time, we can
take the case to civil court. In some cases this is necessary, such as
cases involving catastrophic injuries. The injured victim will often require
long-term care and treatment, and may have suffered
brain damage, spinal cord injuries, severe burns or other permanent conditions. These
are life-changing injuries, and the responsible driver must be held accountable
for their actions.
About Drunk Driving Accident Claims: The Process
There are several steps involved in the process of recovering compensation
after a drunk driving accident. These often include the following:
- Evaluating the physical condition of the victim and the estimated costs
of medical care.
- Gathering supporting evidence for the insurance claim, including evidence
concerning the defendant's arrest and medical records concerning current
and future medical care.
- Evaluating all economic and non-economic losses associated with the case.
- Evaluating possible punitive damages, especially where the defendant's
blood alcohol level was extremely or unusually high, or their driving
was erratic or otherwise reckless.
- Submitting the claim to the insurance company, or preparing the case for
a civil lawsuit.
- Following the criminal case against the defendant and possibly appearing
in court for the victim under the 2009 Victims Bill of Rights known as
- Negotiating with the insurance company to reach a potential a settlement.
- Rejecting or accepting a settlement offer made by the insurance company
- Proceeding to civil court if a fair and adequate settlement cannot be reached.
Connect with Cohn & Swartzon, P.C. For Your Free Evaluation
Cohn & Swartzon, P.C. is recognized as one of the top
personal injury law firms in the Orange County area, and our
car accident lawyers are prepared to evaluate your case on an immediate basis. We have achieved
exceptional outcomes in many difficult cases, and we are intimately familiar
with every step of the process.
We seek the maximum possible in compensation, and we know how important
the settlement or verdict is to the victim and his or her family. Our
dedication to our clients is what drives us to perform at the highest
level, and inspires us to zealously pursue justice and full compensation.
Call our Orange County car accident attorney now for help with your drunk driving accident claim.